What it is: Maybelline Bare It Buff Plush Silk Eyeshadow came out as part of the Spring 2014 Dare To Go Nude Collection. It is a limited edition quad with warm-toned pale neutral shades and is the lightest option of the 4 available quads. The formula is supposed to be silky smooth and offer rich color payoff.
Price/Quantity: About $10.00 for 2.5g
Availability: I found mine at Rite Aid. Sometimes limited edition stuff can be hard to track down but typically they can be found at drugstores like Rite Aid, Walgreens, and CVS, and other stores like Fred Meyer, and Bed Bath and Beyond stores that have a Harmon’s inside.
Selection: There are 4 quads to choose from.
Colors/Finishes: The individual shades do not have names but I will describe them from left to right:
- Sheer, satin, warm white with large silver glitter.
- Semi-sheer, shimmery, pale yellow with a pink duo chrome. The duo chrome gives an illusion of being less sheer. No glitter.
- Sheer, satin, warm pale pink. No glitter.
- Semi-sheer, shimmery, warm bronze with medium-sized silver glitter.
Packaging: Plastic, snap-shut compact. It opens and closes easily and stays closed securely. Inside, there is a double sided sponge-tip applicator. New at the store, the quads are sealed with a small perforated label that breaks when you open the lid.
Smell/Fragrance: No discernible smell or fragrance.
Application: These were easy and quick to apply and blend. They adhered well to the lid. They looked pretty much the same whether I applied them over a primer or not. The glitter in the lightest and darkest shades does fall down on to cheeks, though. This is something that can be worked around by using a sticky or creamy base to give the glitter something to adhere to. You could also just apply your eye makeup first, wipe off any glitter fallout, and finish up the rest of your face.
Texture: The shadows are very silky and buttery smooth to the touch, and plenty comes off on fingers with a single swipe over the powder. They aren’t very powdery and using a brush doesn’t cause much powder to kick up in the pan. I didn’t notice any eyeshadow fallout (aside from the glitter).
Pigmentation: They are sheer for sure, even more so on the eye than what you see in the swatches. For the look I did, I applied 2 layers of the darkest shade on the far right and it was still pretty sheer. They do apply very evenly, though, so the sheerness would be fine for those that prefer more natural looks.
Longevity: Both with and without a primer, these lasted 5 hours before I saw minor creasing.
- The eyeshadows are very silky and smooth.
- They blend really easily and quickly.
- They weren’t very powdery or messy in the pan.
- These quads are inexpensive.
- The sheerness could be a turn off for some.
- Limited edition drugstore products can sometimes be difficult to track down.
- The glitter is large enough that it doesn’t really stick and falls down on the cheeks when blending.
- They didn’t last very long, even with a primer.
Worth Buying? Because of the overall undertone, this quad wasn’t my cup of tea. I didn’t find these particular shades that attractive on me. That being said, though, if you are fair with warm undertones and you like sheer, natural eye looks you might like Bare It Buff.